...question .. Sibirien Wednesday, May 24, 2000

hi,

first, really this is the best bot I have seen ...

I think I'm only to blind to find out, how to configure the bot so that it responses to me back when I whisper commands to it from outside the channel the bot hangs, means the following command gives only answer to me, if I'm in the same channel as bot is:

/w [botname] !whois [username]

/w [botname] !say [some_public_message]

This doesn't work for example issued from inside a game ...

What's going wrong (with bot and/or me)

GreetU

Sibirien

Why whispers from outside the channel are ignored SubSpace Wednesday, May 24, 2000

Hi,

> I think I'm only to blind to find out, how to configure the bot so that it
> responses to me back when I whisper commands to it from outside the
> channel the bot hangs, means the following command gives only answer to
> me, if I'm in the same channel as bot is:

The bot is intentionally ignoring any whispers coming from outside the channel. This is not to annoy you, it has a reason:

Diablo Spawn/Shareware allows you to log in using almost any account name (up to 12 characters). You could take Diablo Shareware and log in as SubSpace, for example. Inside the channel, Diablo Shareware is therefor ignored, because it's unsure who the person really is.

Outside the channel, there's always the posibility it's a Diablo Shareware client whispering your bot. There's no way to see the difference between it and for example Starcraft if the person is outside the channel. Therefor, all whispers from outside the channel are untrusted.

Think of it like this: You wouldn't want some random moron to log in using your name and shut down your bot..

SubSpace

Re: Why whispers from outside the channel are igno Krusher Wednesday, May 24, 2000

Subspace dood... your bot crashes every time a duped diablo shareware bot is online, as you can tell, when diablo sw logs on two people, same name, it basically becomes unbannable (i know how to ban it, but thats a diff stry)... ok, now when i enter the channel, or when they come into the channel, my subbot seems to crash, ps, can you please add that glitch back in, or make me a small file that will re-enable it for me... thnx (ps, that is my real addy) krusher_@hotmail.com (mail thingy)

> Hi,

> The bot is intentionally ignoring any whispers coming from outside the
> channel. This is not to annoy you, it has a reason:

> Diablo Spawn/Shareware allows you to log in using almost any account name
> (up to 12 characters). You could take Diablo Shareware and log in as
> SubSpace, for example. Inside the channel, Diablo Shareware is therefor
> ignored, because it's unsure who the person really is.

> Outside the channel, there's always the posibility it's a Diablo Shareware
> client whispering your bot. There's no way to see the difference between
> it and for example Starcraft if the person is outside the channel.
> Therefor, all whispers from outside the channel are untrusted.

> Think of it like this: You wouldn't want some random moron to log in using
> your name and shut down your bot..

> SubSpace